I wrote these instructions for (U/Ku/Edu/Myth)buntu GNU/Linux, Hardy. However, you should be able to adjust these commands for other distributions quite easily. Let me know if you have success with other distributions, and what any changes are, so that I can list them on this page.
- First, enable Mythfrontend’s telnet interface. Open Mythfrontend and do: Mythfrontend Main Menu > Utilities/Setup > Setup > General > page 4 > Tick “Enable Network Remote Control interface”, Enter 6546 after “Network Remote Control Port″ > Next > Next > Next > Finish. Then exit mythfrontend.
- Download the
myth_py_wii.pyand save it to your
- If you don’t have the dependencies then run the following command in
sudo apt-get install python bluetooth python-bluez python-cwiidalternatively, install each package in synaptic.
- The script is now ready to run. Run the script:
python ~/Desktop/myth_py_wii.py(you can do so using the terminal - e.g. Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal in Ubuntu) Then run
mythfrontendOnce myth is loaded, press 1&2 simultaneously on your wiimote. After a few seconds the wiimote should vibrate and the LEDs will show [ # . . # ] where # is on and . is off.
- Enjoy. To view the controls, please visit this page.
- If you get the “No bluetooth interface found” error, ensure you have the dependencies installed, and then try unplugging and re-plugging the bluetooth device (if it is USB) or restarting. Further debugging info: ”hcitool scan” after pressing 1+2 on your wiimote should return an entry with “Nintendo RVL-CNT-01”, if it does not then there is something wrong with your bluetooth setup and/or your Wiimote.
- If you get something like
error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel <__main__.MythSocket connected at 0x7fd7840133b0> (<class 'socket.error'>:(111, 'Connection refused') [/usr/lib/python2.5/asyncore.py|read|68] [/usr/lib/python2.5/asyncore.py|handle\_read\_event|388] [./main.py|handle\_read|52] [/usr/lib/python2.5/asyncore.py|recv|342])then you’re probably using an old version of MythPyWii. Download the latest version above, and try again. If the problem persists, please contact me by email on “benjie” at this domain.