I had a few issues going from Wordpress to Octopress (which I did using
exitwp) - I’ve outlined
some of my solutions below.
Crossed out code blocks
The markdown produced by
exitwp dependency) uses
~~~~ in places to denote a code block. However,
rdiscount (Octopress’ markdown parser) recognises this instead as strike-through. A simple
bash command fixes this (though it does lose some of the formatting details).
1 2 3 4 5
Line breaks in links
For some reason
exitwp added some linebreaks into the markup for the links. And for some other
reason, octopress’ style sheet (
<a> tags that their
white-space should be
pre-wrap, these two issues combine to give you broken links.
This next command should fix these newline issues. (It finds a
[ with no matching
] on the
same line and then removes the newline at the end of said line, being careful not to have two newlines next to one another.)
NOTE: You may need to run the above more than once.
Turns out that the above broke some image embeds - no worries - here’s the solution:
exitwp does not insert newlines before lists, and rdiscount does not always recognise it as a list unless it has a blank newline above it. Simply find the ‘1.’ entry and put a blank newline above it.
rdiscount doesn’t do strikethrough with a single tilde, so it does not need escaping. However
exitwp escapes them, so text like ~/Documents/ will become \~/Documents/
exitwp seem to disagree on indentation - causing
rdiscount to render indentation (sometimes) as a quote rather than continuation of the text.
URLs with brackets in
pandoc do not correctly escape (with a backslash) brackets within links, so captions/etc may be broken. Simply add in the backslashes.
I was looking for a line in
_config.yml to configure the archives. Turns out it’s actually the file
source/blog/archives/index.html that needs to move - I moved this to
And then updated the navigation
Hosting on S3
This code in this post worked for me, but it is quite dumb - you will need to check the changes it
makes are good (this is where
git diff comes in handy - make sure to commit before running these